Saturday, August 11, 2012

My "Boys of Fall"

This week marked the start of the football season.  2-a-days began on Monday.  They even got some "wet weather" practice in - we FINALLY got a couple days of soaking rain! I hope it wasn't too late for the crops, but I fear it was:( Our weed-filled lawn however, is looking green and growing tall... (the weeds that is).

The boys are on the same team this year too - first time EVER.  Hoping this season is as "winning" as last;)  Zak's JV team was undefeated last year - a repeat would be nice!


Their first game is going to be pretty exciting - against Wayland.  In my memory, the 2 schools have not played each other.  The games are at Hopkins August 23rd, and the JV is playing at 3:30 followed by the Varsity.  While I agree that "pride is on the line", I hope that good sportsmanship will prevail, and whoever wins is a gracious winner.  We live in a small community.  It would be sad if this turned into an ugly rivalry. Friendly competition would be a good thing though.

Today was the blue and white scrimmage.  The boys ran through some plays, did a little showing off for the parents, and gave us a glimpse of what the season is going to hold.  Paul had to work this morning, so he wasn't able to go.  It would have been better had HE been able to be there, rather than me - he "gets it".  Me, not so much.  I just like to see them all "doin' their thing", so to speak:)


This is the JV line on the practice field.  Zak is the large one on the far left of the picture (80).  Devin (74) and Caleb (69) are right in the middle.  From what I can tell (and the "gossip" amongst the parents), the JV team is much larger than the Varsity this year.  In size and numbers.  I hope this doesn't mean they are going to pull up some of the JV players.  I have been waiting for this year for a LONG time.  I'm wanting to see what this team can do together. And, while I don't think Zak is necessarily motivated enough, or good enough to move up, his size is definitely something that will be looked at... so, selfishly, I want to see my boys "stick together" this year.  I guess we just wait and see!



This is my clothes line after the morning's play.  Caleb is spending the weekend with us, so I had 3 sets of stink to get clean:)  I love seeing my clothes line full of blue! The sky was amazing today too - full of big, fluffy clouds, and such a fantastic color!  Love the day after a few days of rain - everything seems fresh and clean.  Just like this laundry.  At least for a few days anyway!

So, here's to a new season.  While I am hoping for a season of victories, I PRAY for no injuries, fun, and memories to last a lifetime - for my boys, your boys, all of our "Boys of Fall".

   

No comments:

Post a Comment