Thursday, June 7, 2012

summertime

Summer vacation started "officially" at our house this week.  The last day of school for my kids was last Friday. On Monday, the boys started their summer weightlifting schedule for football. At 7am. 4 days a week.  This means MY day actually needs to start earlier than it did during the school year. Hmmm. Something about this doesn't sound right! Part of being a mom I guess. Next year, this will all be different - as Zak will be driving then. OH, that really makes me feel old! 

We also have house guests for about 10 days.  Devin and Olivia have a brother-sister set of friends from their classes who moved to TN during the school year.  It happened to work out that they were able to travel to MI on Wednesday, and they will be staying with us until next Saturday, when I will meet their parents 1/2 way between their home and ours.  It makes us busier, but only because we are trying to fit in friend-visits and fun during my non-working hours OR shuffling Elaina around so that everyone else can go places/do things during the day when I am working and she requires some more "mature" sibling guidance. Sometimes I think she is (and she acts!) older than all of them:)  I love their different personalities, and fun-loving natures - but (again!) I feel old around/because of them!

The end of June Liv will be going on her first YG serve trip.  Even though she is only just entering 6th grade in the fall, the current YG has invited her age-group to join them this summer.  I can't wait to see her reaction to the work they will be doing. Of course, a big draw for her in going is the last-day visit to Michigan's Adventure... I know she will enjoy it all.   Her being part of this group, and then joining YG in the fall when she starts middle school... (you all know this part) makes me feel old:)

One of the biggest changes June brings is Paul's return home.  He is on level 4 of his 5 level program right now.  At the end of level 4, he has the option of coming home, and completing the program from home while still getting credit for finishing the course.  He will have some challenges in completing the program, AND the challenges of returning to his life.  I am hopeful and scared all at the same time.  His commitment to this has remained steady over the last 4.5 months, so I am hopeful that he will be able to come home and stay sober.  He has never been willing to give this kind of time and effort to his alcoholism before.  I'm scared because coming back to "real" life after being so insulated for the last 4.5 months is going to be (IMO) his largest hurdle.  I can't imagine being thrown back into water I was drowning in. I have to trust that he has learned to swim, or at least been given the floatation device he needs to succeed.  When I think of the years we have let go by us... I don't think I need to say it...

July brings us to the traditional "cottage vacation week". Last year we didn't go, so that we could take our first ever family road trip - to Gatlinburg.  We had such a good time.  It was hot, and of course the tourist town was busy, but our cabin on the mountain was a refuge. A wonderful, amazing, much needed escape from our daily lives.  Which is what the best vacations are.  This year, we have no plans.  Or, at least, no road-trips planned. And, no cottage stay in the works either.  I AM taking a week off. We will see where that week finds us.  Maybe we'll just drive until we decide to stop. And see where we are.  Maybe we'll just get some work done at home.  Whatever we decide - we will VACATION. Because this year, just being together is going to be vacation.  And, I won't feel old:)

Throw in summer camp, and summer dance lessons, football camps, 3 days of drivers training, probably a wedding and of course the 4th of July, a couple graduation open houses... oh, and football practices starting in August!  I don't think we'll need to go looking for anything else to do!  

So, on that note, a song to end this post:  I love this crazy, tragic, Sometimes almost magic,
Awful, beautiful life...

No comments:

Post a Comment