Thursday, February 23, 2012

Real Life

I didn't pick a word for today. But, for some reason, inspire has been on my mind lately.  What inspires you? An amazing singer, a star athelete, a "winning" polititian, a celebrity? While people like this seem to have done some awesome things, I prefer REAL people.

My sister inspires me. Her life has not been easy. A teenage pregnancy, an early marriage. Some might have said "it can never work". But its been 20 years this past August. And she and my brother in law have lived through the hardest thing a parent can - the loss of a child. And they are still together, still strong.  I'm sure they have their moments. What marriage doesn't. The beauty of it is they keep going - together. The most important thing is FAMILY. And keeping God at the center of it. They walk that walk.  

My mom inspires me. She has lived with MS for more than 25 years. I have watched it progress, until now - she isn't the mom I remember. And I am not talking about her physical appearance. Although those of you who haven't seen her in a while - would be surprised. She forgets things. She falls. She repeats herself. (in fact, it can be hard to deal with!) BUT, she goes on. She LOVES her grandchildren. She offers what help she is able to provide. SHE IS HERE. I can't imagine my life without her. I don't WANT to imagine my life without her.

My Grandpa inspires me. I feel badly that I don't visit more often. Life gets in my way. Selfishness gets in the way. He is the biggest prayer warrior I know. And, no matter what stupid, sinful things us grandkids do - he keeps praying. If I ever needed ANYTHING I have just had to ask. He may not "give" what I want without strings - sometimes there is a lesson involved! But, he (and Grandma too) always helped solve whatever I brought to him. I am lucky to still have him in my life. My kids are lucky to know him. (They've been crazy blessed with Great-Grands - 2 grandmothers on Paul's side and a new grandpa French, and the chance to know all 4 of my grands. Plus step grands) I miss my Grandma though. And I know he does. She had a song for everything. Just this past Sunday in church, the songs we sang I could HEAR her singing along-side of me.

I have many friends who inspire me too. The teenage mother who had the courage to start over - and made an amazing life for herself. The old friend who struggles with an "invisible" illness - she gets out of bed and raises her child, and lives her life the best she can. The couple who struggled with infertility for years, waiting, HOPING to share their lives with children. The cousin who battled his own demons and beats them every day. God shows in their lives, and makes me see what I can be, with His help. These people don't live their lives to inspire people, it just happens. They just live to glorify. And to inspire, to change someone thats just a bonus from God.

Our military men and women inspire me. They don't always face artillery or danger to protect us, but protect us they do. They give us the freedom to follow our dreams, in a country built on dreams. Thank you to the many members of my family, and my friends who have made the sacrifice of time with their families, and sometimes the sacrifice of their very lives so that I can sit here and type! No matter what the war, you answered that call of duty.

Its been a bad few years for dead celebrities. Michael, Whitney... God gifted you with amazing abilities. Did you use them to praise? Did you use what you achieved to better others? Yes and no. Do you deserve "inspiration" status? Not for me. I'll take a real person any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment